Metafields allow you to display dynamic information on your online store. If you have a theme that supports metafields, then you can connect a metafield to a section or block in the theme editor.
For example, a candle seller might want to display burn times for each type of candle available. After setting up a product metafield for burn time, the seller can add a block for burn time to their product template and then connect it to the product metafield. After setting up a collection metafield for a page that lists burn times, the seller can add a block to their collection template and then connect it to the collection metafield.
Tip: This feature requires a theme that supports JSON templates. Refer to your theme documentation to find out whether your theme is compatible with dynamic theme settings. For more information about using metafields, refer to the Metafields documentation.
Caution: If you have a Shopify theme, then you can connect most metafields to your theme by using the theme editor. If you're using other themes, or if you want to add metafield types that your theme doesn't support, then you can edit your theme code or hire a Shopify Expert to help you. Not all sections support dynamic sources. Refer to your theme documentation for more information.
You can display dynamic information in your online store by adding sections or blocks that can use dynamic sources. Dynamic sources can be used in any section or block in a product template. In non-product templates, dynamic sources can be used in sections or blocks that show products. You need to add your metafield before you can connect it in your templates. Refer to Dynamic Sources for more information about using metafields and dynamic sources in your theme.
After you complete the setup process, follow these steps to insert the dynamic source into your template:
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.
- Find the theme that you want to edit, and then click Customize.
- From the dropdown menu, select the template that contains the section that you want to edit.
- Click an existing section to load the content into the preview window and access the options available to you, or click + Add section.
- Click + Add block, and then connect a dynamic source:
- If the connect dynamic source icon is displayed, then click to select a single metafield:
- If the connect dynamic source icon displays a +, then click to select up to 20 metafields by adding them one at a time: 6. Click Save.